Upcoming Events

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Backpack Buddies at LCFB

For two hours on January 22 Kevin and I helped with BackPack Buddies at the Lowcountry Food Bank.

"There are children in America that rely on resources such as free or reduced-priced school lunch, during the school year. The BackPack Program is designed to meet the needs of hungry children at times when other resources are not available, such as weekends and school vacations." - America's Second Harvest website.

On Fridays, Lowcountry Food Bank provides students in need with nutritious food and snacks to take home for the weekend. And, since the children aren't showing up to school on Monday hungry, dizzy and with stomach-aches, they are more prepared to learn.

Working with employees from Johnson & Johnson we put together 1350 bags. Good times were had by all. Well, maybe except for one girl from Johnson & Johnson who, it turns out, lives in the same house I lived in a year and a half ago. I think it officially became uncomfortable when she said the address and I replied, "Yeah, that's where I used to live. My room was the green bedroom." And she looked stunned and said, "That's my bedroom." But, other than that, good times were had by all.



For more information on Lowcountry Food Bank visit www.LowcountryFoodBank.org.
For more information on BackPack Buddies visit www.SecondHarvest.org.

No comments: